I came across MGM's often seen Return of the Living Dead/Swamp Thing/Bucket of Blood/Frogs set several times, but then another MGM movie set pictured to right appeared that I've never come across. Definitely the better deal out of the two, but most awesomely the set includes William Wesley's underappreciated Scarecrows (1998) and MGM's new 2.35:1 widescreen transfer of Sometimes They Come Back (1991). The singular discs of the films from 2007 have gone out-of-print with collector prices inching ever higher. After only finding just one copy, I immediately figured a measly seven bucks was a steal just considering the $30-40+ ranges of the aforementioned films, but then at the register the set rang up for only $4.00! Can't beat that!
I also pictured Dominic Perez's Evil Things (2009) because afterward I trekked over to Best Buy and found Inception Media's DVD marked at $9.99 only to ring up for $4.99. I still feel bad about never reviewing it awhile back since the nifty "FBI-styled" DVD-R screener was terminally flaky in all of my players, so now at least I finally get to check it out at half price.
Here's a list of some of the more "interesting" discs seen or picked up at Big Lots:
- The Lost Boys (single disc), Lost Boys: The Tribe, Lost Boys: The Thirst (all $3)
- Candyman (SE), Return of the Vampire (1944), The Revenge of Frankenstein (1958) (all $3)
- A Nightmare on Elm Street Parts 2-5, Freddy's Dead (New Line's basic releases) (all $3)
- Jason Goes to Hell (Unrated, $5), Jason X ($5), Freddy vs. Jason (2-DVD, $3) (all three in strange ultra slim cases)
- Wrestlemaniac, Chromeskull: Laid to Rest II (Unrated Director's Cut) (both $3)
- Harpoon: Whale Watching Massacre (Unrated), Driftwood (2006), Perfect Creature (2007) (all $3)
- I Still Know What You Did Last Summer (again, strange ultra slim case, $3)
- Raw Feed Horror Collection (Rest Stop Unrated, Sublime Unrated, Believers) ($5)
- Warner Urban Action Set: Black Belt Jones/Black Samson/Hot Potato/Three the Hard Way ($7)
- AC/DC - Let There Be Rock (1977) ($3)
- Rapid Fire (1992) (2011 Fox re-issue) ($5)